At 4D pharma, we understand that developing a new therapeutic class is challenging. We also understand that our people are our greatest resource – and we look to recruit ambitious and talented individuals from all over the world to be part of this exciting new area of medicine.
Please see our current career opportunities below:
About the Company
4D pharma Cork Ltd is a campus company in Cork whose aim is to investigate how variations in the composition of bacterial communities in the gut can be used for the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Recent advances in the field have highlighted the importance of the gut microbiome, not only for the development of safe and efficacious new therapeutics, but also for the discovery of novel personalised diagnostic tools. 4D pharma Cork Ltd is a subsidiary of 4D pharma plc (http://www.4dpharmaplc.com), a UK pharmaceutical company developing Live Biotherapeutics, a novel and emerging class of drugs. 4D pharma Cork is developing a diagnostic platform, MicroDx, across multiple disease areas, mirroring 4D’s proprietary MicroRx platform for the discovery of live biotherapeutics.
Purpose of the Job
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced data scientist from a coding/computer scientist/programmer background to join the 4D pharma Cork bioinformatics team. The position would allow for the successful candidate to acquire/improve/or utilize data analysis methodologies on cutting edge biological/machine learning challenges. This is a full-time position to develop and maintain our commercial platform. The successful candidate will apply their extensive coding experience to commercialise microbiota-based solutions. The individual must be capable of working independently as well as part of a team to develop and apply computational solutions to biological questions.
Experience, Qualifications & Skills Required
- Either i) a PhD in Computer science/Bioinformatic/Data science, or ii) an MSc with at least 3 years’ relevant experience or iii) a BSc with at least 6 years’ experience
- Strong background in Linux/Unix
- At least 2 years of proven hands-on experience deploying and maintaining complex, custom, multi-tiered application systems
- Experience with version control systems, including Github or Gitlab
- Skilled with scripting languages like Python and with shell scripting in Bash
- Excellent track record in software research, design and development and hands-on programming experience
- Experience in implementing continuous integration, delivery, and deployment pipelines (e.g. Gitlab)
- Ability to use a wide variety of open source technologies and cloud services
- The candidate should be knowledgeable, highly motivated, creative, and collaborative
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and an attention to detail
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team
- A commitment to maintain and develop personal and management skills by undertaking mandatory and other training as required
- Garda vetting and international police clearance check may form part of the selection process
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Validate requirements, deploy, and troubleshoot deployments of code and technologies
- Experience of establishing a stable, reliable secure and high performing data platform is desirable
- Establishing proactive monitoring and alerting capabilities exist for all components of the platform
- Documenting SOPs, and perform knowledge transfer to others
- Demonstrating experience with at least one of the following development languages Java, Perl, PHP or Python
- Demonstrating experience with container technologies such as Docker
- Working with code management tooling such as Github / Gitlab
- Demonstrating experience with both Linux and Windows
- Carry out biostatistical and integrative analysis of different datasets e.g. microbiome, metabolomic and clinical metadata
- Prepare progress reports and presentations on company research activities and present data in company meetings as required
- Liaise with project team including clinical and research staff, to ensure timely processing of data to advance the research programme
- Maintain and manage all data in a safe and secure manner at all times
- Engage in appropriate training and professional development opportunities to develop research skills and competencies as required by the Directors and Site Manager
- Participate in training as required to develop or augment core skill-sets
- Promote and maintain a positive teamwork environment
How to apply
Please send all applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates should submit a curriculum vitae including contact details for 2 referees along with a covering letter to arrive no later than Friday November 22nd.
For any queries or further information on the post please contact Dr Ian Jeffery (email@example.com).
We always welcome applications from talented individuals even if a role is not advertised we would be keen to hear from you. Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org